Crafting a Positive Daily Routine
We all have days when we can’t seem to get out of bed, when the thought of getting up and facing the day seems too daunting. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Crafting a positive daily routine can help you start each day on the right foot and make the most of your time.
Prefer to listen rather than read? Press play below.
What is a Daily Routine?
A daily routine is a set of habits and activities that you do every day, usually at the same time. These activities can include waking up and going to bed at the same time, eating meals, exercising, and engaging in leisure activities. It’s important to establish a daily routine because it can help you stay organized and productive, and it can also help you manage your stress levels.
Benefits of Crafting a Positive Daily Routine
Having a positive daily routine can bring a number of benefits to your life:
- Improved focus and productivity: When you establish a daily routine, you can become more focused and productive in your daily tasks. Having a schedule to follow can help you stay on track and get more done.
- Increased motivation: Having a daily routine can also help motivate you to take action and reach your goals. When you have a plan in place and know what you need to do, you’ll be more likely to take action and stay motivated.
- Improved mental health: Establishing a positive daily routine can also help improve your mental health. Research has shown that having a daily routine can reduce stress and anxiety, and increase feelings of well-being.
- Improved physical health: Following a positive daily routine can also improve your physical health. Regular exercise and healthy eating are important components of a healthy daily routine and can help you maintain a healthy weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and reduce your risk of certain diseases.
Crafting a Positive Daily Routine
Creating a positive daily routine can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are some ideas for creating a positive daily routine:
- Start small: When creating a positive daily routine, it’s important to start small and focus on one or two activities at a time. For example, if you want to start exercising, start with a few minutes of walking each day. Once you’ve established a habit, you can gradually increase the amount of time that you exercise.
- Prioritize sleep: Getting enough sleep is an important part of a positive daily routine, so make sure to prioritize getting enough sleep each night. Try to go to bed at the same time each night, and wake up at the same time each morning.
- Make time for yourself: Taking time for yourself is also important for creating a positive daily routine. Make sure to set aside time each day to do something you enjoy, such as reading a book, listening to music, or taking a walk.
- Incorporate healthy habits: Eating healthy, exercising regularly, and drinking enough water are all important components of a positive daily routine. Make sure to incorporate these healthy habits into your daily routine.
- Schedule time for relaxation: Taking time to relax and unwind is also important for creating a positive routine. Schedule time each day for activities such as yoga, meditation, or journaling.
Adding Positivity to Your Routine
Having a routine that is positive and healthy is important, but you also want to infuse that routine with positivity, which will have a beneficial impact on your mindset. Here are some things that you can add to your routine to maximum positivity:
Positive intentions or affirmations
I've talked about the effect affirmations can have on your mindset. Positive intentions work much the same way, except intentions state your commitment for the day. By saying how you plan to behave, you set yourself up for success. Examples of positive intentions:
- I will remain calm as my children get ready for school.
- I will keep an open mind when talking to co-workers.
- I will look for the silver lining in every situation.
Choose power words
Many people choose a “word of the year” in January, as a means to label what they are striving for in the upcoming year. The words they choose tend to be power words. Power words trigger an emotional response. If you fill your vocabulary with positive power words, you will add positivity to your day and those who you communicate with will benefit from that positivity.
Studies have shown that expressing gratitude increases your happiness and quality of life. Keeping a gratitude journal will remind you to look for the things you are grateful for on a daily basis. Try to write down 3 things you are grateful for every day. The things can be big or small, as long as your gratitude is genuine. then, extend that gratitude to the people around you. If you express gratitude for the people in your life, your positivity will increase.
Spend quality time with loved ones
Oftentimes, we let life get in the way of our relationships. We're so busy doing “stuff” that we don't nurture our relationships. Building and reinforcing strong relationships is key to being more positive and living a happier life. This is a no-brainer. We all know our loved ones are important. However, we often forget to make time to connect. Make part of your daily routine spending time with the people you care about. Strengthening these relationships will benefit everyone.
Spend quality time with yourself
We've talked about the importance of self-care. You need to have quality time for yourself to relax and unwind and do something you enjoy. If you don't make self-care part of your routine, it will be left off the schedule and likely won't happen. Taking care of yourself is important so that you're in the right mindset to be able to take care of others in your life.
Mindfulness is about living in the moment. While it can be about being spontaneous and doing something unplanned, it doesn't have to be. For some of us, spontaneity increases our anxiety. We like to have things planned out. For others, you'd rather live by your whims than create a plan. Mindfulness is about being present where you are at any given time. When you're at your job, give it your full attention and enjoy it. When you're having dinner with your kids, don't look at your phone or think about what you have to do before bed. Engage with your kids.
Add meditation or prayer
Both meditation and prayer allow you to connect with your spiritual side. These activities reduce stress and anxiety and improve mental health. Schedule 15 minutes a day to pray or meditate to add peace to your positivity routine.
What a Positive Morning Routine Looks Like:
Here are some examples of morning routine ideas:
- Wake up at the same time each morning
- Drink a glass of water
- Stretch or do yoga
- Read for 30 minutes
- Eat a healthy breakfast
- Take a shower
- Make your bed
- Get dressed
- Make a to-do list/set your planner and intentions for the day
Obviously, something like this schedule will not work for everyone. I will be the first to admit that my mornings, while planned and organized, are not this full. I like my sleep and getting up earlier for these things isn't going to happen. However, I still get most of these in throughout my day. Building your positivity routine has to work with your life.
Starting your day on the bright side can have a number of benefits, such as improved focus, improved mood, reduced stress, and improved relationships. Crafting a positive daily routine will lead to less anxiety and more happiness. By establishing a positive daily routine, you can start your day on the bright side and make the most of each day.
Here's a checklist to help you get started with crafting your daily routine with positivity. It's totally free. You don't even need to sign up for my newsletter.